Skip to Main Content
Have a Question?
|24/7 Chat may connect you with a librarian from another institution.
- Every source cited in the paper must be on the reference page
- All sources listed on the reference page must be cited in the paper
- Starts on a separate page
- Last page of paper
- The word References is placed in bold at the top center of the page
Basic Rules of the Reference Page
- The reference list will always begin on a new page, with the section label References centered in bold at the top of the page.
- Order all entries alphabetically by Author's surname, followed by the author's initial(s) separated by periods. Use a comma to separate the initials of one author from the surname of the next author, and separate initials with a single space following the period.
- List up to 20 authors using the surname, initials format in the order listed in the resource. Use an ampersand (&) prior to the final author's name: Author, A. A., & Author, B. B.
- For works with 21 or more authors, list the first 19 author's name, followed by an ellipsis (...) and then the final author's name.
- References written by the same author should be categorized from the earliest source to most recent
- Write the title of journals exactly as written in the journal
- The second line of every source must be indented one-half inch from the left margin
- Known as a hanging indentation
Creating an APA Style Reference List - The linked document was created by APA to assist students in creating properly formatted 7th edition APA Style reference list.
American Psychological Association. (2020). Creating an APA style reference list.
Annotated bibliographies consist of citations of sources and evaluations (annotations) of those sources. Different style guides offer different requirements for how to format these bibliographies, including whether or not to include a title page, the length of the annotations, or whether or not a separate References/Works Cited page is necessary. When composing these helpful research tools, either for an assignment or as a valuable way to organize your sources for a larger assignment, consult the formatting style, the assignment guidelines, and your purpose for creating the document. More information about creating an annotated bibliography is available on the Research Basics guide.
Follow instructions in the document below to properly create a hanging indentation.
Student Consumer Information | BPPE Annual Report & Performance Fact Sheets | BPPE Website | Catalog | Careers With Us
West Coast University © 2023 All Rights Reserved